RE: Potential new helmet rule would affect autocrossers

To: "Kevin Stevens" <autox@pursued-with.net>,
Subject: RE: Potential new helmet rule would affect autocrossers
From: "Haden, Bruce" <bhaden@ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:45:03 -0800
To: Rocky Entriken
Cc: .Team.Net

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Rocky Entriken wrote:

> SCCA is contemplating a new helmet rule -- full-face helmets would not
> be allowed in cars with airbags -- and has issued fair warning:
>
> http://www.scca.com/_Filelibrary/File/AirbagAdvisory.pdf
>
> I think it is a good idea, but with a minor reservation. I have
written my
> area director and SCCA to say so:

Why does this sound like a good idea?  Under the circumstance that
"contact with the chin area of a full-face helmet can be so powerful
'that
the risk of fractures to the jaw cannot be ruled out'"(pretty weaselly
words, btw), isn't that *exactly* when I'd want to be wearing a
full-face
helmet?  Even assuming that without the chin bar the bag impact wouldn't
break your jaw, the overall face/eye protection that the helmet provided
would be lost.

This sounds like a very superficial analysis/reaction.

I agree with Rocky. I would MUCH rather exchange a SMALL possibility of
a broken jaw for the extra eye protection of a full-face. Also, I
believe, most autocross "incidents" are rollovers which typically don't
cause airbag deployment. Either way, I think it's not a good idea.

        Bruce Haden