RE: FW: UD/BD Explained (was Fastrack)

To: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: RE: FW: UD/BD Explained (was Fastrack)
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2003 19:45:32 -0700
At 06:32 PM 7/5/2003, Hugh Barber wrote:
>Randy,
>
>You wrote "So where is the problem that requires your solution?"
>
>A couple of weeks ago there was a great deal of whining on this list that
>due to the ability to register on-line, many of the ProSolo events were
>already sold out, with the implication that some top-caliber entrants were
>not going to get to enter because lesser entrants had already filled the
>field.
>
>I have also seen, both on this list and in print, folks wishing to provide
>some venue for mewcomers.
>
>The SoloII National Chanpionships is the only National Championship event
>that I know of, that does not require you to qualify.  I don't understand
>why our sport is so different from all the others.  About the only other
>sport that does their championship like this is the NHL, where every team,
>except the last place ones, are in the playoffs (but at least they have a
>playoffs)?

The problem is extremely poorly stated and then thrown in with some other
things. Whining on a list is not the problem that your solution addresses.
There is a venue for newcomers to play in, I don't see that as all of a
problem. You list one real problem, the premature selling out of the
ProSolo Finale. The changes to Nationals has nothing to do with that. The
suggestions about more novice oriented classes also do not have anything to
do with the Finale,  so I do not see the connection. Help me out.

So in a nutshell, I count one real problem and then solutions which do not
address it. In fact, it seems like some of your solutions actually
contradict the intent. You wish to attract more new people, and also
restrict entry to Nationals to those that qualify or deserve it.

In my experience, good solutions come after a good definition of the thing
you are trying to solve. I have yet to see that.

Randy Chase
http://www.elisetalk.com  Because something wicked this way comes
http://www.conecam.com/