RE: Swedish sports car project

To: Autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Swedish sports car project
From: Henry Chea <hchea@kungstorget.nu>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 03:02:35 +0200
Quoting "J.  Howell" <jbrett@PebbleMotorSports.com>:

> I think probably the most important aspects of making a sports car affordable
> are reliability, durability, and in the event of a mishap, low-cost
> availability of replacement parts.

Almost all of our car's parts will be sourced from existing cars, which makes
things a lot cheaper and easier to service.  One of the good things about such
large car corporations is that once you get good contacts with one or two of
them, the parts selection is huge.  However some parts such as the suspension
arms will be custom manufactured.

> I have been involved in road racing F500s for several years now, and the fact
> that the engines can be rebuilt overnight if necessary, and a Rotax can last
> an entire season, makes them extremely affordable and competition friendly.
> Likewise most snowmobile or ATV shops have the parts necessary to rebuild
> one, so availability is high and relatively low cost.
>
> Another candidate engine that fulfills the low-cost availability and
> reliability requirements would be the SOHC Honda motors (a.k.a., the D-series
> motors). Parts can be readily mixed and matched between the different types
> of D-series motors to produce wild, high-compression normally aspirated
> motors as well as solemn, durable engines for endurance events, and the
> transverse mounting and transaxle would make them well-suited to a mid-engine
> layout.

Being a Honda fan myself, I immediately tried to source Honda engines.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a good contact yet.  Also, we must use
an engine found in new vehicles since we must meet the strict Euro IV
requirements coming soon.  If things went my way, the engines found in the S2000
or Integra Type-R would be top contenders.