Swedish sports car project

To: Autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Swedish sports car project
From: Henry Chea <hchea@kungstorget.nu>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 20:31:26 +0200
I hope this is not too off topic (if it is, please let me know).  I'm working on
a project in Sweden to design and build a new light sports car.  Having autoxed
a CR-X for a few years myself, the idea of an affordable weekend racer is an
important one in the car's design.

Right now I'm in the process of designing the car in CAD and must choose various
major parts and geometries that will be in the car.  In a year we hope to build
the prototype, then in 2-3 years start production and sell the car in Europe.
The American market would follow shortly if there's demand for it.

Some quick facts about the car:
- 750 kg dry
- Approx 180 hp
- Mid-engined
- Aluminium monocoque with steel subframes front and rear
- Active aerodynamics
- Target price $25-30k
- Closest competitors are Lotus Elise, Opel Speedster, RaceAbout 02, Honda S2000

I have some questions I'd like opinions about:

- Does anyone here have solid experience with the effect of weight distribution,
regarding both front/rear balance and polar moments?  What's your advice on
optimizing this and things to avoid?

- Regarding pedal placement, which cars have you found to be well-designed for
aggressive driving?

- What design elements in cars you've driven do you find particularly clever or
well-done?

- If you were going to design an affordable sports car with the intention of
buyers using it as a weekend racer, how would you design it?

Thanks for the replies!

//Henry Chea
Project Leader, Projekt Tussilago
Phone +46-708-31 18 03