Re: STS Rules Question

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: STS Rules Question
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 00:27:54 -0600
> > I was wondering if anyone knew if I replaced my OEM Catalytic converter
> with
> > a High flow cat would it still be legal for STS ??
>
> No -- cat changes aren't legal for STS.
==================================
Well, technically, maybe.

Consider this.  All OE catalytic converters and related emissions equipment
(EGR parts, smog pumps, etc.) on cars produced in the last 10-12 years
(can't say for sure about cars older than 1990) have a "hidden", mandatory
8/80 warranty from the manufacturer as required by the Federal Government.
What that means is that even though your car only came with a 3/36
powertrain warranty the manufacturer must honor warranty claims on emissions
equipment for the 8/80 time period.  They sure don't like to make a big deal
about this though and sure don't go to great lengths to explain it to the
customer.

It is also technically illegal to replace a properly functioning catalytic
converter prior to that 80K mile mark and I can't say for sure about one
with more than 80K miles on it.  But, when one must replace a
"malfunctioning" converter, one is allowed by the Solo2 rules to use an
equivalent aftermarket part to the OE part.  This is done to save costs to
the competitor and is a good rule.

Now, my question is, exactly where is the line between an OE-type converter
and a "high performance" converter?  Please find me the exact flow specs for
an OE-equivalent converter for my Car X.  I will assume there is, somewhere,
a range of flow specs that my car's converter needs to adhere to.  And how
far beyond those specs, assuming you can actually find them, can a converter
go before it gets called "high performance"?

Can you see where I'm going with this?  "Sure, I replaced my converter with
a 'high performance' (making the little quotation marks in the air with my
fingers) Brand Y catalytic converter, Mister Protest Filing Man.  Now you
just have to prove that my part is illegal."

I honestly don't know a lot about converters so that is partially my
motivation for asking.  Hell, for all I know there might actually be a book
full of flow charts for OE converters out there somewhere.  And this book
might actually spell out the proper procedure for determining a converter's
flow capabilities complete with spelling out the parameters for the flow
testing equipment and the methods for calibrating said equipment.  I kind of
doubt it though.

Thoughts?  Besides that I simply love to stir the pot with this kind of
stuff.

Eric Linnhoff
www.geocities.com/eric10mm/KnuckleDragger
"Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone
you may still exist but you have ceased to live."
Mark Twain