Re: Supplemental classes

To: <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>
Subject: Re: Supplemental classes
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 17:46:39 -0500
Well we are not all that far apart on your reply this time. Conceptually I
agree with most of what you say. I do think your numbers a little stiff, to
the point of being unrealistic. Not when 21 of 32 classes did not reach your
40 number.

But the number is an arbitrary thing that is calculating dancing angels on a
pinhead.

Once we get a determination that says meet a goal and achieve success, later
we can determine what that defined goal should be. It can even be modified
year to year but the process would remain. I am more interested here in a
defined process than what number is the "right" number.

BTW, another element in my mind that I don't think I have voiced here yet --
just because a car makes numbers *this year* to attain Championship Class
status (I like that term Sirota came up with) does not mean it would
automatically be a Championship Class forever after. It could still go into
next year as a Supplemental and again have to make the numbers to break out.
It might have to do that 2-3 times to attain permanent status. But its
drivers each year it attained enough entry to break out would be legitimate
champions and not some Solo II stepchildren. And the years it didn't break
out, there would be no champion and it would remain within the embrace of
its parent class (see my F/SAE example again).

Some terminology I am playing with:

* Regional class - Any class not in the Solo II rulebook but created for a
Region's own purposes on the local level.
* National class - Any class in the Solo II rulebook. It is national because
it is controlled by the SEB.
* Permanent class - Any National class that will automatically be run for
trophies at Divisionals, Tours and Nationals.
* Supplemental class - Any other National class that will run within another
Permanent "Parent" class (and expected not to be fully competitive against
well-prepared cars in the Parent class). Also any non-National class running
under a proposed ruleset for purposes of evaluation (may or may not be
eligible for awards depending on whether it technically fits within the
Parent class's ruleset; if not, its entry also would not be considered for
trophy depth of the parent class [example, Baby Grands that ran with DP in
1998]).
* Championship class - Any class at  Divisionals/Tours/Nationals running for
championship awards. All Permanent classes are Championship classes.
Supplemental National classes that achieve a specified entry limit will be
broken out of its parent class to become its own Championship Class for that
event.
* Exhibition Class - Any Permanent Class failing to meet a predetermined
entry minimum at Nationals will be run in the following year as an
Exhibition Class and not as a Championship class. An Exhibition class will
be bumped to a higher class, if any, to compete for awards. An Exhibition
class that exceeds a predetermined entry minimum will immediately be
reinstated as a Championship class for that Nationals and the subsequent
year.

That last one comes up as part of this overall concept but addresses a
different situation, the lightly-subscribed class.

On that last, consider AP and BP, both nine cars this year (Open/Ladies
together). Neither meeting a 10-car minimum. Under this concept BP becomes
an Exhibition class, running in the following season within AP, which with
the added BP cars now has enough to remain a Championship class. Also, the
BP cars in the combined class retain their BP identity, run with "BP" on the
cars, are still listed under BP in the rulebook. But BP is still in control
of its own destiny. Next year if BP booms in with 18 entries, it breaks out
to its own class again and stays that way the following year. AP with the
same nine (or fewer) is STILL a Championship class -- if you come expecting
to run for a championship that expectation is not taken away -- but the
following year AP bumps to DM/EM as an Exhibition class. If AM is the one
that fails to make numbers, it has noplace to bump but can run by itself as
an Exhibition class, which also gives it the means to make numbers again and
control its own destiny.

--Rocky Entriken