RE: Rule Books

Subject: RE: Rule Books
From: "Bill Fuhrmann" <fuhrmann@cpinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 17:41:51 -0600
> > Hello, this whole discussion _started_ because current
> autoxer's wanted to
> > have the rulebook online...
>
> Well, the subject says only "Rule Books," and the discussion in
> recent posts has been about non-autocrossers' complaints.

Yes, the topic has wandered a bit from the original comments about:
  Do the paper copies of the rules have the CD?
  Is the PDF file on the CD searchable?
  Would it be a good idea to put the rules on the web.

I have no clue about the CD in the book, and there have been conflicting
answers posted here.

There have been conflicting answer posted about the searchability of the PDF
file.  However, we don't know if the people who have not found it to be
searchable are sure that they cannot use the sometimes hidden tools in
Acrobat to search it.

I think that it cannot be a bad thing to put the rules online and that it
could have some advantages.

If SCCA actually makes a significant amount of money off the rule books
(over their costs to print them), they can continue to insist that all
people competing at upper level events have the book with them.

Having the rules online still would give local competitors (and others with
questions about the sport) the ability to check the wording of the rules in
a much more convenient manner than finding the person to order a new copy
from.

> Fastrack is online, so recent rules changes are readily available
> now. FWIW, it's no biggie to me either way. Even if the rules
> were placed online and you weren't required to have the book at
> National events, I'd still buy a new one every year. The cost of
> a printed rule book is buried in the noise compared to the real
> costs of competing.

I suspect that any serious competitor would do the same.  Having the CD in
your computer would still be easier than searching through online copies.

The rules would help someone like me who doesn't compete all that regularly
(my only competitions last year were done on 8 wheels, I plan on doing some
on 4 and some on 10 this year)<grin?>.