Re: Prep/Mods in Pro Solo

To: Todd Farris <toddf@pop.tamu.edu>,
Subject: Re: Prep/Mods in Pro Solo
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 17:40:52 -0500
At 01:39 PM 12/31/01 -0600, Todd Farris wrote:
  Another reason most P/M guys don't run the Pro's
>is because of the lightweight/fragile clutches that aren't intended for
>drag race starts and roadrace slicks aren't worth a darn for
>launching.
>
>The costs to run a P/M car are higher also.  Running a Pro competitively
>requires a new set of tires.  Even though treaded tire costs are rising
>(cost too much in my opinion), slicks are still more expensive.  Wear and
>tear is the largest concern because of the potential for damage with the
>standing start.  Most people trailer their cars, but a P/M guy has to tow
>his race car and we are all familiar with travel expenses.
>
>Top all of this off with the typical P/M car is built to be as powerful and
>light as possible for Solo II.  This is not generally conducive to cooling
>efficiency so a Pro is out of the question for many P/M cars due to
>overheating problems.

Try a CM Formula Ford. Race clutches can last for years. New slicks are
about $600 per set (compare that to trying to keep tires on an SS, AS, or
FS car) and you really never "wear" them out. The cars can be towed with
cars (i.e. trucks aren't necessary). I used to tow mine with a 5.0 Mustang
and others tow with import sedans and small pickups, etc. Many of the
travelling Stock Class drivers tow their cars also.

Pick your "poison" as in any racing. There are plenty of pluses and minuses
with any class but high cost (for a competitive car) is not really the
issue with a CM FF. At least we don't have to worry about our 2001 $$$$
Stock class car being obsoleted by a 2002 $$$$ car or by a 10 year old "who
ever thought that would be competive" car.

>From my experience, enter every Pro you can just for the fun and practice.
Nothing like essentially 12 runs on short courses to really get used to
your car. If there is even one other similar car/driver you have a
benchmark to compare to and try to catch/beat. If you happen to end up with
a full class and happen to be the fast car in class, great. You get into
the Challenge which is more fun and practice. Might even win.

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford