Re: Prep/Mods in Pro Solo

To: Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Prep/Mods in Pro Solo
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 17:23:11 -0500
I agree with Alan. CM in a Pro Solo is a lot of fun, on essentially any
likely Pro Course.

In the East and Midwest, the most fun years for CM were roughly 93 - 95 or
so. Lots of cars with lots of current and former National Champs running in
the class at many of the events. Talk about intense . . . but with none of
the "stock" worries regarding whether the other guy had a "cheater" car, or
had picked the best brand of car. We knew that nobody was cheating and that
any of us had as much chance as anyone else at setting the car up "the
best" and/or driving "the best". Great handling cars which love quick
transitions and have plenty of power (with autox gearing) to get some
wheelspin out of most corners. Starts? Rev the engine to somewhere between
3K and 6K and get off the clutch in a big hurry when the last yellow comes
on. Get enough wheelspin to keep from bogging the engine and go for one
heck of a ride as the tires hook up. Challenge runs are even more fun since
CM usually has to play catchup. Nothing like beating somebody back to the
finish who had a 3 second head start on a 22 second course. Must look neat
for the onlookers!

One slight disagreement with Alan regarding the challenge: Mod/Prep cars
are at a disadvantage for the first challenge runs on cool days (don't even
think about when it changes to rain) due to cold race tires. However, when
I've done well in the Challenge I always told myself that every run could
and should be faster due to more tire heat.

Dick Rasmussen
CM Formula Ford