Prep/Mods in Pro Solo

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Prep/Mods in Pro Solo
From: "ELIZABETH A LYLE" <lxml84a@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 11:28:33 -0500
Mark J. Andy wrote:

"by and large Prepared and Mod guys don't run Pros. The reasons for this
mystify me, as I find Pro's to be the best type of autox available, but there
it is."

It's not mystifying, ask the Prep/Mod guys who used to run Pros!  These cars
are built to transition at speed as quickly as possible; generate sustained
lateral g's; accelerate as fast as possible; brake as late as possible and
hopefully, the combination of car and driver is better than the next guy.  So
far it's OK.

But IMO, today's Pros give you a 25 second course that simply reduces any
advantage that your modifications may have created.  Speeds do not appear to
be high enough for any aero package to be fully effective; there is a physical
limit to how fast you can accelerate on a very short straight (if there is
one); and turn radii are so short that your sustainable g's are not in effect
very long.  Besides all that, an autocross in a box is just not much fun in a
car capable of, and built for, much higher speeds.

Have not run a Pro for several years and thus am not up on all the rules, but
it seems that a Mod car runs first against some theoretical index (and how
good can this be with so few participants?), then is indexed again somehow.  I
tried to figure this out from results somewhere and it appeared that on a
25-second course, a B Mod car would have to run a 19!  I suppose this is
theoretically possible, but if it is, why don't you see more cars?  I submit
that it is not even feasible to beat indexing like that; the short courses are
no fun to drive; it beats up the car and driver to no good effect; and never
mind the overheating between back to back runs problems.  True you might be
competitive with another B Mod car, but since nobody else goes there, why
would I?

Just my 2-cents from a Mod car perspective.  For those of you who enjoy the
Pros - have at it!

Vern