Re: Course design safety - formerly Re: autox insurance

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Course design safety - formerly Re: autox insurance
From: Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 09:51:25 -0800
On Wednesday, December 26, 2001, at 07:59 AM, Chris Eckles wrote:
> In my case, I hit a steel barrel filled with concrete this year.  I'm a
> solid intermediate level driver.  I just thought I could make it.  I
> really
> did.  And after the autocross, I looked at the course.  The barrel was
> 30-40 feet off the course, after a 180.  Not particularly dangerous
> looking.  Oh, I did have a cute girl in the passenger seat, so that may
> have been a contributing factor. . .

I think this definitely could be a factor. We had an incident this year
where an older guy in a Corvette (mid-level experience, not a novice)
was giving a cute young lady a ride, hit a bump and spun and rather than
backing off decided to "save it" in the Corvette manner by adding power.
Well they quickly covered the 75-100 or feet to the edge of the lot, hit
the curbing sideways and flew 20' through the air into a chain-link
fence. Thankfully no one was hurt and the fence kept the Vette from the
freeway (!) next to the site but now everyone is warned against trying
to show off if they're giving rides as the car was damaged extensively
and the site owner wasn't too happy about having to repair their fence.

- Alan Dahl