Course design safety - formerly Re: autox insurance

To: "Team. Net" <autox@autox.team.net>, evolution-discussions@egroups.com
Subject: Course design safety - formerly Re: autox insurance
From: Roger Johnson <rjohnson@ghg.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 08:52:20 -0600
It was said (on team.net):

"...Preventing pole-hits is largely a course-design problem. I raise holy
hell when I see
a course that makes this likely. Courses like that cause problems for all
of us, in all clubs."

Although I strongly agree with comments made above, I would like to add
that making a course design with "no risk" (i.e. zero) of hitting a
pole/foreign object found in an solo2 lot is impossible.

There are just too many factors to account for that are totally out of
control of the course designer, such as Acceleration intoxication; driver
stupidity; novice misconceptions ("I can floor it through the entire
course"); the "I can save it syndrome"; etc.  I have seen poles/foreign
objects so far off the path of the normal driver that it was inconceivable
that they would become a safety issue - but they did anyway.

However, we as course designers, can MINIMIZE THE CHANCE OF INCIDENT by not
thinking like a seasoned soloist, but rather as the dumbest, most
adrenaline crazed person you can imagine.  I have made many course design
changes based on what an unreasonable driver could do - knowing that it
would not be an issue *at all* for 90% of the competitors out there.

You have to keep in mind that it only takes one person to ruin for all of
us - so making it perfectly safe for 90% of the the drivers may not be good
enough.

Thoughts?
Comments?

Roger H. Johnson