FW: Tech at Nationals

To: "Team. net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Tech at Nationals
From: "Steve Hoelscher" <stevehh@hiwaay.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 21:59:59 -0500
OK,  So we go back to the orginal point.  The rollbar does not meet *ALL* of
the requirements of appendix C, because it is aluminum.  It is grandfathered
in under a statement that is part of appendix C that makes an exception for
one of the requirements of appendix C.  Therefore the excpetion means it
doesn't meet *all* of the requirements of appendix C.   It takes advantage
of the acception to the requirements of appendix C.

That the specifications for roll bars can be circumvented if the car is old
enough I find deplorable.  We will allow what is defined by our own rules to
be an unsafe roll bar simply because the car was built prior to a certain
date???  Not to mention that an aluminum roll bar is a competitive advantage
which no other DM driver will be able to take advantage of.  If I built a
lotus elan and equipped it with an aluminum roll bar would I be disqualified
at Topeka?  Would I be prohibited from competing because of a safety issue?
While another car so equipped is permitted to compete yet is unprotestable
for the exact same item for which I was disqualified or excluded?

Do not missunderstand my point.  If I was Chris, I would take that advantage
myself.  I just don't understand why a safety issue of this magnitude is so
blatantly ignored.  If I rolled my Cobra, equipped with a rollbar that did
not meet the height requirements of appendix C but grandfathered in, could I
sue for my broken neck because SCCA allowed me to compete in what SCCA
itself defines as a substandard roll bar?

Steve Hoelscher
#27 DSP