Re: Tire Trailer

To: mshields@inconnect.com, kramey@hiwaay.net
Subject: Re: Tire Trailer
From: Hottvr@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 19:38:18 EDT
mshields@inconnect.com writes:

<< The harbor Freight LCI-832T is 50x40 I think that is large enough to fit
 245/45s down into the frame. Also the LCI-745TC is 50x60 which should be
 big enough for anything. I'm able to fit (barely) my 225/45-15 Hoosiers
 into the frame >>

I helped "The KnuckleDragger"(Linnhoff) build one in 2000. He started with a
the
Harbor Fright kit. By the time we got done welding the crappy steel frame work
we realized we should have bought an axle and started from scratch. The frame
was made from stamped channel. Its really poor quality "Offshore" stuff. The
kit was made to bolt together. When we got it bolted together it was so
flimsy that neither
of us trusted it.  So we wound up boxing in all the channel with .125 flat
stock.
We used 1x1 inch x .062 wall square tubing for the uprights. I had a local
sheet
metal shop shear .062 thick aluminum to the proper size for the sides and
front.
I also had them shear and brake a top for it that had a one inch lip to keep
the rain out. All of the aluminum "skin" was pop riveted to the 1 x 1 inch
tubing. The lid is held on by four hood pins and hairpins. It was a really
fun project.

Looking back, If I was gonna do another one I would start by buying an axle,
wheels
, tires and the ball receiver from Reese or Drawtight and build it from
scratch.

Mike B. 99cm