Re: Pro Solo

To: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@gdi.net>, "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pro Solo
From: "Andy Whittle" <awhittle@fastrans.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 09:08:18 -0600
> I think it is largely an issue of wear and tear on the driveline. Most
road
> race vehicles are simply not made for drag racing, particularly since the
> only US class that has standing starts is pro Formula Atlantic and you
have
> to replace the clutch every event not to mention the increased wear and
tear
> on the gearbox. I'm sure the people who do participate in prepared and mod
> do pay the price with higher maintenance costs.

A few years back, I was running a turbo v6 in a formula car.  That car was
running a Hewland Mk8 gearbox that is common in many c-mod cars.
Admittedly. I was over stressing first gear but I was breaking first gears
about every four autocrosses.  As I remember the gear set cost about $150.
This was one of the reasons I went to a CVT car in 95.  Now the chains on my
A-Mod car last about 150 runs.  Wings and damage to them is also a concern
(between $300 and $5000 each depending how they are constructed or
purchased)  Most formula cars are way under-cooled so repeated runs are also
a problem.   The water temp in my car raises about 1 degree a sec wile
running and it has a huge radiator.

Just a little info.

Andy