Re: ProSolo

To: Dennis Hale <dhale_510@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: ProSolo
From: "Larry R. Metz" <lrmetz@home.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 07:52:37 -0500
My two cents worth......Pro Solo in my opinion as a soloist since 1965
and having never driven in a pro solo........

Pro Solo turned away from the "club" modified drivers.  Most modified
drivers have made a rather strong commitment to soloing with special
cars, but then when Pro came out it only tolerated the faster of the
modified cars, and the others only got token involvement when they
combined the classes.

I have attended as a spectator several pro solo events over the years.
The particular way they were setup here in Indiana, I found them much
less interesting and harder to be an observer.  I found the tension much
higher among the drivers, and really saw few people that seemed to be
enjoying the event.

I found that I did not necessarily understand the timing factors, and
tend to believe it tends to be more chance than actually in the drivers
skill etc.  As with the PAX that is not a perfect system, that is how I
understand the timing factoring system with the pro.

Just an objective view from a long time soloist.  If those of us who are
soloist do not understand, how can we expect the public to grasp and
understand??

Larry from Indiana....where it is only 4 degrees

Dennis Hale wrote:

> HEYWARD WAGNER wrote:
> >
> > After thumbing through Grassroots Motorsports new
> issue I have to ask.  Why
> > is it that the Pro Solo series gets no respect
> compared to the "national
> > championship?"
>
> I think Grassroots is more interested in prepared and
> modified cars than in stock class cars. ProSolo began
> for and remains focused on stock class autocrossing. I
> have the original flier that says "make your stock
> class car pay for itself". I fear it has not quite
> lived up to that promise, but it remains a stock class
> game. This is neither good nor bad but is a very
> limited market. I know John Thomas has won, but then
> that is John Thomas....not the format coming around.
> This is just not very exciting stuff to sell magazines
> with maybe.
>
> =====
> Dennis Hale

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
lrmetz.vcf]