Re: Demographics Now

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Demographics Now
From: "msmith2" <msmith2@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 20:21:00 -0500
> Is that what the big deal is here? One lousy article in some magazine? As
> Roger keeps pointing out (over and over but still unheard), SM is not
going
> to attract a lot of  new faces. For the most part it is going to take
people
> from other classes because they are autocross junkies like you and me.
> Proselytizing the masses is not going to happen unless you equip the
> missionaries with free cocaine.

One lousy article? Have you ever read the whole thing? Or at all? You start
the subject of demographics, yet will not learn the target audience? Are you
even aware of the current compact car hot-roddin' craze? Are you aware that
the American V8 aftermarket is about to be surpassed by that of Honda's?

Perhaps you should put the weinerschnitzel down and back away from the glare
of the Porsche long enough to see what's happening around you once in a
while...<grin>

Roger can point it out 'till he's blue in the face, but it's still just an
opinion. Please, state it like one. He 'THINKS' SM is not going to attract a
lot of new faces. Unless he has a working crystal ball, he doesn't KNOW.
There, now that its in perspective, I THINK it has the chance to. It depends
on what the current entrants do with it. They're going to try, and I don't
see the problem with that. However, I KNOW that STS and SM are now 2 of our
largest local classes, and MOST of the entrants are also new members for
'00. Sure it'll take a while to trickle up to Nationals, but there are
plenty of signs that it is working.

> But I agree the RX7 should be included in a similar class. Probably not
the
> same class but a similar one. If people would get over their prejudices
and
> just class based on something simple (and empirical) like weight/hp then
we
> can move along to something more important, like the creation of a new mod
> class for Formula Mazdas which are currently lumped into BM where they
don't
> have a chance in hell against Formula Atlantics.

Should SM catch on, and add numbers to the system, 1 or 2 extra SM classes
are sure to be required to extend it's coverage to cars that it had excluded
before. That SHOULD do nothing more than make SM numbers even higher due to
the cars that wanted in earlier. However, IF Roger is right, and the
entrants are mostly existing racers, then there won't be additional classes.
I'm pretty sure the progenitors of SM are already plenty aware of that.

Mike CP58