Re: STS Tires Rules - Can we get some thoughts on spec tires?

To: <Andrew_Bettencourt@kingston.com>, "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: STS Tires Rules - Can we get some thoughts on spec tires?
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:32:08 -0500
Andy wrote:

> Someone brought up the spec tire solution.  Seems to me this
would be a great
> idea.  Bring the proposal to each of the tire makers and see
what they come up
> with for a suggestion as well as discount for SCCA members on
that tire.  Award
> a 'contract' with support and supply metrics built in.

It would solve one problem - that of "ringer" tires - but, IMHO,
it could create another more serious one: it would take STS in
the direction of competition-specific wheels/tires. If I read the
arguments in favor of STS correctly, there are at least some
competitors in the class who want to be able run - and hopefully
be competitive - on their choice of "real street" tires, whatever
that is. If you require those guys to buy a set of spec tires in
order to be legal, what's the advantage over the Stock tire
rules?

I'm not agin' spec tires in principle, but I do have that one
concern.

Ideas?

Jay