Re: What's wrong with class proliferation?

To: Ben Thatcher <bthatch@juno.com>
Subject: Re: What's wrong with class proliferation?
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 19:41:06 -0500
Ben Thatcher wrote:

> I've seen posts for years about us having "too many classes" in Solo II.
> Why are people concerned? I dunno, maybe their own pet class is suffering
> from a mass exodus to another class or something. I know when we started
> the OSP class here in Atlanta that the EM guys were ticked because they
> didn't have any trophy fodder, anymore. And frankly, now EM is just about
> dead here, while OSP is drawing 7-10 drivers per event.
>
> I certainly hope that the number of Trophies Denver has to buy or the
> fact the awards banquets go so long aren't the reasons some of you oppose
> the number of classes we have. I'm sure the entry fees from 15+ entries
> in each class should be able to fund the trophies/jackets.

I don't think that these are the reasons for wanting to control class
proliferation.  I personal feel that too many classes dilute the
existing ones more than adding new people.  Let this go unchecked, and
you will truly have the "pet" classes you mentioned above.

What I mean is that there will be classes for every little bit of
minutia that makes cars different from one another.  I realy hate to use
this example because I have nothing against Porsche owners and clubs,
but some of those clubs have a seemingly endless array of classes for
every single model, year, and option package.  Maybe color too.  :)
Again, I do not mean to criticize...they obviously have created them out
of some need to satisfy the membership, but I personally feel that it is
far too much.  We would have 4 or 5 Neon classes of we followed this
example, and I think most already agree that two is enough! (Stock)

I feel the need to qualify again that I belive local clubs shold do
whatever they want....have a hundred classes if that makes sense in your
area.  I am speaking of a National structure.

Pat