Re: What's wrong with class proliferation?

To: "Ben Thatcher" <bthatch@juno.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What's wrong with class proliferation?
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:09:27 -0500
Ben Thatcher wrote:

> How do you think Nationals drew almost 1100 drivers this year?

Uhh, Ben, you should actually examine the class demographics
before making statements like the above. The "other category"
classes (SM, F125, and ST) contributed a total of 68 entries,
many of whom were not attending their first Nationals. Even if
none of the entries in these classes had come to the event, the
goal of exceeding 1000 entries would have been met. I.e., Solo II
is growing _without_ additional classes.

> Do you
> honestly think that if we reduced the numbers of classes that
we could
> STILL draw that many drivers?

Yes. Added classes have almost nothing to do with current Solo II
participation levels.

> Class proliferation is a natural development IF we want to
attract new
> people.

no, it isn't. See above. The net effect of new classes has NOT
been to attract "new people," it has been to take existing
competitors from other classes. This isn't necessarily a bad
thing, but let's at least be honest with ourselves about what's
happening here.

> There are simply new and different types of cars that
enthusiasts
> are embracing,

Why don't you point out exactly what "new and different types of
cars" you mean?

Jay