Re: What's with 7.5 rims anyway?

To: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Subject: Re: What's with 7.5 rims anyway?
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 19:39:34 -0500
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here (without flames, please, since I
think this is a legitimate question) but, as I understand it, positive
offset means moving the tires/wheels farther out from the side of the
car. That should be achieved by a SMALLER backspace on the rims.  To
my way of thinking, a 5-inch backspace on an 8-inch rim would hardly
produce much of a positive offset.  Am I missing something here?!?!?
8<{)

The 6-inch rims that I'm running on my Mini right now have a
2-1/2-inch backspace.  That's about as far out as I dare to push them
with ball bearing wheel bearings.  Once I replace the front brakes
with Metro Turbo disks and install stronger Timken roller bearings in
the hubs, then I plan to order new wheels with a 2-inch or even
1-3/4-inch back space so, maybe, I can start running cantilever
slicks.

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman