Re: What's with 7.5 rims anyway?

To: "TEAM.NET" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What's with 7.5 rims anyway?
From: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 06:40:11 -0700
Someone wrote:

> The one thing not mentioned is the this is for positive offset rims, as most
> (if not all) of the cars that run in STS use positive offset.

The rims I bought were backspace of 5.0 (8" rims) - rather positive offset.

> The reason for light rims goes to the old adage that one pound of rotational
> weight is roughly equivalent to 10 lbs of weight in the car, as far as
> acceleration and braking are concerned..........(snip)
>
> Another factor is reducing unsprung weight, that is the weight not supported
> by the springs of the car (wheels/tires/brakes/suspension arms).  What this
> does for you is that it allows the springs and shocks to react faster to
> bumps and transitions............(snip)

Thanks for trying Guys - I tried to make the point that steel *or aluminum* rims
are much more plentiful in the 7.0" or 8.0" sizes. 7.5" is much more uncommon
size to dig up at reasonable cost. Heck, why not make it 7.25" ?    :-)

FWIW, the gentleman selling the 7.5" rims mentioned they were rather light for
that size at 'only' either 15 or 17 pounds (I forget) - these lightweight steel
Bart rims were only 19 pounds each at 15x8. $160 for four, shipping included.
Choice of offsets.

Many in the real world with limited $$$ or just starting out, rather than run
the
stock or smaller rims, are still better off with slightly heavier wider rims
than
narrower aluminum alternatives. In my case I can afford the wider aluminum rims,
but this car right now is a "maybe" as far as potential, so I am trying these
steel rim substitutes before going 'whole hog' to try to gauge what that
potential might be. If and when I decide what to do next I will seek the
aluminum
alternative......but finding reasonable 7.5" rims will not be very easy.

That was my original point.

Just my two cents worth  (get it?).

Thanks,

Scott Meyers