Re: What's with 7.5 rims anyway?

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What's with 7.5 rims anyway?
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 21:49:26 -0500

Scott Meyers wrote:

> Funny you should mention that - what's with the 7.5 number? There are many 8.0
> inexpensive rims out there in stark contrast to the 7.5 dimension, and that
> includes steel for the $$$ inhibited.

7.5" is the wheel width limit in STS/STR.  It started out as 7", but was
increased to 7.5" this year due to some STS-eligible car(s) that come from
the factory with 7.5" wheels.

> Seems that 7.0 or 8.0 are much more in line with common and inexpensive
> availablility.....
>
> Whasssssuppppp?

That's probably the deal.

> Scott Meyers
> Recently bought $40 15x8 steel rims at 19# each......to heck with $350 or
> $150....

Nice price, but way too heavy for the average ST car.  We can't gain much
power with the limited engine-related mods we are allowed, so weight and
rotating mass become major competitive issues.

--
Loren Williams | Loren@kscable.com
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca