Re: # of classes and particitpation

Subject: Re: # of classes and particitpation
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 18:41:43 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Sun, 24 Sep 2000, Rocky Entriken wrote:
> Top ladies who are NOT trophy winners in the open are declared the Ladies
> Award winners. Same trophy-depth basis as now. If there are 3 ladies who are
> NOT Open trophy winners, we give one Ladies Award. If there are 4, we give
> 2, etc. And yes, that means if there are 4 gals and one of them trophies in
> Open, then there is One Ladies Award because there are three left.

I'm not sure what the benefit is if we do this.  Sure, you eliminate the
overhead of a new heat to run those competitors, but you've got the same
number of trophies, the same "length of banquet", more admin overhead to
figure out what's going on, and even more blatent "ok, you've got breasts,
you get a trophy, but you don't, 'cause you've got a penis to hold" than
we do now.

> IMHO, nothing says we cannot rewrite the total-drivers rule to, say, 3 per
> car. And we can even specify that a third driver must be opposite sex (2 men
> 1 woman, or 1 man 2 women). The idea of the rule is to keep several good
> drivers in one good car from monopolizing the top of the trophies. A 2+1
> rule would go a long way to the same thing, and if *those* three should
> still finish 1-2-3 ... well good for them!

This sounds like a really good idea though to help with the transition to
only open classes.

> This is NOT a proposal to eliminate Ladies classes, but an idea to cut the
> total classes while still giving the gals their due. IMHO, Ladies classes,
> by that name, should continue on a Regional level as an entry-level
> encouragement. The above would apply only at Divisional/Tour/National (maybe
> Pro, but Pro would have its own take on the idea).
>
> Good idea? Really dumb one? Needs work?

I think the idea about the new co-driver rules is a really good one.  I
think having ladies in the open class get special trophies is worse than
what we have now.

Obviously, my opinion is that Ladies classes shouldn't exists at the
Divisional/Tour/National/Pro level or, if we must have some way to
encourage new drivers at that level, create a indexed "Novice" class that
you can only run in until you score in the top 5 in points for the year
(or some other mechanism to bump cherry pickers).

For regionals, I whole heartedly support Ladies classes to help encourage
more female participation (and you certainly can't argue that most ladies
at the regional level are less willing to jump into the pool than the men.
At least from what I've seen).  That special encouragement, particularly
with the record turnouts we've been having, has no place at divisionals
and above.

Mark