My 92 Miata's rear sits too high

To: <miata@realbig.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: My 92 Miata's rear sits too high
From: "Brad Snakenberg" <bsnake@usa.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:52:11 -0400
Hello all,

I just bought this car about a month ago, and it sits 1.5 - 1.75" higher in
the rear than the front. The exact measurements from wheel center to fender
lip are:
 LF 12.75
 RF 12.50
 LR 14.25
 RR 14.25
I have done several things to try to fix it including:
Replace all struts with KYB AGX 8-way adjustables (front lower bushings were
shot)
Replaced all 4 bump stops with OEM
Verified proper front spring color codes (replaced FR just in case it was
weak)
Replace rear springs with the proper blue color coded ones (it had 93 auto
orange springs)
Drove around with lower strut bolts finger tight before torqueing properly.

I must keep stock springs to stay in the C-Stock class, so aftermarket
springs are not an alternative for me.

My shop manual states the difference should be a maximum of .93 inches (20mm
+/- 10mm). My difference is 1.75 inches, clearly out of spec.

I'm not sure what to try next. The entire rear suspension/differential unit
was replaced with one from a '93 with LSD before I got the car. Could there
be any other differences?

I tightened the rear swaybar end links before lowering the car. I will
loosen them up & drive around on it before tightening them up again, but I
can't imagine that making a big difference.

I need to get this fixed before I get the alignment set for my next
autocross. I've done everything I can think of outside of selling it and
buying another 92 that sits normal! It really looks funny and can't be
optimal for handling.

Brad Snakenberg - getting desperate!
92 b-pkg, White - looks like it has a wedgie!
SCCA / MWCSCC Autocross CS class
bsnake@usa.net