Re: Shock access - am I stupid?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Shock access - am I stupid?
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 08:55:14 -0400
"Kevin Stevens" <kevin_stevens@hotmail.com> wrote:

> You can't go drilling holes and manufacturing bits to tweak your car in
> Stock class.

Well... yeah, you can. As long as those tweaks are allowed under the rules.
And as I recall, the rules specifically call out speaker holes etc. as
being legal.

> It doesn't make any difference if you stuff the holes with speakers,
fuzzy
> dice, or red herring.

Sure it does. If the hole is filled with something allowable, it's legal.

> If you want to mount speakers on top of your shock towers, go right
ahead.
> If you use those holes to adjust your shocks during an event, they aren't
> speaker holes, they're shock adjustment access ports and you're cheating.

Nope, can't agree with this - with one caveat: if the speakers are not in
the holes while running, then they cease to be "speaker holes" and become
something else. If, however, there's a speaker in the hole that is then
pulled out in grid to make a shock adjustment, then that's legal. It may be
a loophole, but it's a legal one.

But to be honest, I think it's moot anyway. Anybody who would protest
speaker holes because they facilitate shock adjustment would steal sheep.

DG