Re: for the NON Gassers

To: "Jeff Lloyd" <Jeff@cyberconceptz.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: for the NON Gassers
From: "Jake Russell" <jakeru@home.com>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 21:56:40 -0700
I run a VW Rabbit Diesel for about a year and a half now and am finding some
success with it regionally now.  Although it is primarily my daily driver
(and I get in the well-upper 40 mpg's with it too!) I am really using it as
a test bed for the engine toying with the idea of building a Street Prepared
Turbo-Diesel, as well as learning to drive autocrosses better of course :)

There is also another competitor here locally who is even crazier than I am
(he does high speed time trials and autocrosses a Turbo-Diesel Mercedes
Sedan!)  And other have reported success with VW TDIs - check the vwautox
mailing list archive at egroups.com.

My interpretation of the SCCA rules is that Diesel is legal for Solo II
because it fits the definition of Gasoline under 3.6.B "Gasolines consist
entirely of hydrocarbon compounds."  And since it's a pump fuel, it's also
legal for stock class (3.6.A)  If you do write to the SEB about diesel
legality in Solo II please let me know what response you get!

The funny thing is, many folks do not realize that diesels are cleaner than
gas motors.  While many (especially in california air resources board!)
react to the visible particulate matter emissions of a diesel, these settle
out as dust.  There are several times lower of many regulated hyironmentally
harmful emissions such as CO, hydrocarbons and in some cases NOx, mostly due
to the oxygen-rich diesel combustion process.  There is also a vegetable-oil
derived diesel many in Europe run which is a renewable resource!  More info?
Check out my speech at:
http://www.chesco.com/%7Erosenberry/diesel/diesel1.htm

I only wish VW would import the 4-motion 150hp 1.9l TDI VW Golf.  That
engine would be a total screamer even for turbocharged-gas engine standards!

Oh yeah and don't mind those who complained about diesels having no place in
solo II - I think for some of them it's probably just because they've been
"smoked" by one in an SCCA event (figuratively as well as literally)  ;)  :P
hee-hee!

Jake
NWR #45 FSP VW Rabbit Turbo-Diesel "ol-smoky" :)
Project GTD web site (dedicated to VW Diesels)
http://members.home.net/vwgtd/