Re: MR2-s vs. Miata in Automobile Mag & SF Car Show

To: "Darren Madams" <darren@madams.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MR2-s vs. Miata in Automobile Mag & SF Car Show
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 11:53:00 -0600
Darren writes:

<snip info re MR2-s vs. Miata>

>So, hypothetical questions for debate:
>
>o Given identical cars, would you want shorter or longer
wheelbase

Shorter, IMHO. Two cars that autox much better than their specs
on paper would seem to indicate are the Miata and the Lotus Elan.
The Miata's wheelbase is 89", the Elan's is 84". One advantage of
a shorter wheelbase is you can drive a tighter path around cones
that define transitions or apexes. If you envision the car's body
forming a chord of the arc along which you're travelling, the
advantage is intuitively evident. Shorter chord => smaller arc
required to clear the cone.

>o Same cars, would you want more or less track (that debate has
been done
>before)

Not as cut and dry. On transition-intensive courses, I believe
narrower is better. Otherwise, I don't think it makes that much
difference.

Jay