Re: MR2-s vs. Miata in Automobile Mag & SF Car Show

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MR2-s vs. Miata in Automobile Mag & SF Car Show
From: "Robert Glover" <rob@f-body.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 09:52:27 -0800
From: "Darren Madams" <darren@madams.com>

> And, at the SF Auto Show last weekend, we got to talk to a Toyota rep
about
> the new MR2-s they had sitting roped off on display.  He said he's
expecting
> it to come in late march early april and they're expecting all first batch
> to be presold (so go make a deposit).  He's expecting 4 colors: Red,
Black,
> Yellow and something else (white?).  The one there was red and it just
> didn't appeal to me at all.  I think it's a really ugly car, but maybe in
> yellow it will look cool.

I saw it there too, and I agree... it's a neat car, but just too ugly for me
to ever consider.  In yellow it might look better after decorating it to
look like a frog.

> Looks like a perfect BS car... go buy one Randy!  I think I'll wait for
the
> S2000s to go down in price (and get proven, thanks Annie & Ron) :)

Add me to that list as well.  Perhaps for a 2001 model, after the prices go
down.

> o Given identical cars, would you want shorter or longer wheelbase

Shorter would turn better overall.  Hence C4 vs. C5. :)

> o Same cars, would you want more or less track (that debate has been done
> before)

Depends a lot on weight of the car.  Wider = more stable, but narrower =
fits through chicanes better.

> o Would you want a tourqier motor that you may have to shift to third
every
> now and then, or a wind-up motor you'd almost never have to shift.

That would depend on acceleration times.

Rob