RE: CRX's

To: Jeff Randall <jrandall@avei.com>, "'Howell, J. Brett'" <jbh@tpghq.com>,
Subject: RE: CRX's
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 16:14:57 -0700 (PDT)

--- Jeff Randall <jrandall@avei.com> wrote:
> You said that you could drop in the motor from the
> new Si Civics, if I were
> to have a 5th or 6th Generation Civic correct?  Then
>  if I had a 5th or 6th
> gen civic could I throw in the Del Sol VTEC motor?
> Technically its the same
> motor except the 99 Si is OBD-II.

Doesn't matter...if they're not on the same line,
they're not on the same line.  If you really must have
an engine swap (and it sounds like you do :)  a
popular CSP-legal swap is a '88-91 CRX Si motor
(D16A1, is it?) in a lightweight '88 CRX HF body.
This is also several HUNDRED pounds lighter than any
5th or 6th gen Civic.  I think this is the car that
Dennis Berry trophied in at Topeka.

Many CRX pilots have cursed Honda for not offering the
Integra motors in the US...

> Final question, if they couldn't tell what year
> motor you have, how could
> they tell if it was legal or illegal?

Generally they can tell what year motor you have,
based on the block stamping number and the appropriate
decoder ring from the manufacturer.  (I've never heard
of a protest based on this, though.)

> basically a civic with a GSR
> motor to compete in any stock class.

No.  Update/backdate is not legal in Stock.

Craig Blome