RE: CRX's

To: "'Howell, J. Brett'" <jbh@tpghq.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: CRX's
From: Jeff Randall <jrandall@avei.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 15:43:41 -0700
You said that you could drop in the motor from the new Si Civics, if I were
to have a 5th or 6th Generation Civic correct?  Then  if I had a 5th or 6th
gen civic could I throw in the Del Sol VTEC motor?  Technically its the same
motor except the 99 Si is OBD-II.  The B16A motor has been around since 89
in Japan.  It came stock in CRXs and Civics, then in 92+, all the SiRs got
B16A with 170 hp, the 94-95( I believe those are the correct years) Del Sol
VTEC here got the 160hp, and now the 99 Civic here also gets the same motor.
Final question, if they couldn't tell what year motor you have, how could
they tell if it was legal or illegal?  That would make for a cheap swap in
any 5th or 6th gen car, buy an old B16A ($400), Si hydro tranny ($?), and a
new B16A ECU, and a lot of rewiring.  Thats basically a civic with a GSR
motor to compete in any stock class.  Correct me if i'm wrong, thanks.