RE: Petersburg Pro Questions (MR2 Problem)

To: TeamZ3@aol.com
Subject: RE: Petersburg Pro Questions (MR2 Problem)
From: "Burns, James B." <BurnsJB1@central.SSD.JHUAPL.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 15:50:47 -0400

I had the same question when it happened.  My brakes get bled fairly often
(extremely often back when I was road racing the car) and the fluid looks
like new.  The car only has 22K miles on it (but they are hard miles).  When
the car started pulling to the left under braking I decided to bleed the
brakes just to rule out the simple stuff first.  When I loosened the right
front bleeder valve and pushed on the pedal, the pedal was still hard.  I
completely removed the bleeder screw and still couldn't get any fluid to
pump out.  Then I removed the hose from the caliper and still couldn't pump
any fluid through.  Then I removed the hose from the hard line at the
chassis and was able to pump fluid out.  So it sure looks like its a plugged
hose.  There is no damage to the hose that can be seen or felt.  Maybe the
last time I changed brake pads (about a month ago), I damaged it somehow.
But it seems like I would have noticed it pulling under braking before
yesterday.

As far as cleaning it out, the openings at the fittings are very small.  A
wire small enough to fit through there would be too flimsy to do any good.
And if I couldn't get any flow through it from standing on the brake pedal
then I doubt I could dislodge whatever is in there.

The good news is that it looks as if TRD/Toyota Motorsports might come
through and have some new brake lines to me tomorrow.  I sure hope so.

Brad Burns