RE: ES neons (ABS!)

To: stecz@Crossroads.com
Subject: RE: ES neons (ABS!)
From: Jeff Blankenship <jblanken@itds.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 14:59:54 CDT

John Steczkowski writes:

> Mainly because the econo-car ABS systems are 2 channel diagonal systems.
> That means, when you lift the inside rear in a sharp turn, braking is pulsed
> on the outside front tire....

Yup!  And if you're doing it right, the neon lifts the inside rear for
the whole turn, so there's no way around it.  Whats worse, its technically
a three channel system - both rears on one channel, the fronts on two
separate channels.  So your rear brakes go away as a pair.  Net effect
is the car doesn't brake much at all, and it gets very hard to steer.

There are quite a few decent ABS systems out there, but I suggest you seek
the advice of autocrossers who know the car in question very well before
you buy.
--
Jeffrey D. Blankenship                         Senior Technical Consultant
jblanken@itds.com                              ITDS - TRIS