Re: Mustang brakes advice? (longish)

To: allen t skillicorn <loudes13@juno.com>, lwilson1@ford.com,
Subject: Re: Mustang brakes advice? (longish)
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 10:44:55 -0700 (PDT)
--- allen t skillicorn <loudes13@juno.com> wrote:

> First off regular '93 cobra's had the same front
> brakes as your car.  The
> R may have the bigger ones, anyone have
> documentation?

I found an old message on Fordnatics a while ago from
Jim Dingell of PPI, who is expert on Cobra R and
police service Mustangs.  Here's what he has to say:

<begin quote>
There were over 300 line-item differences between the
1993 Cobra and
     the 1993 Cobra "R".  The major differences are:

     rear seat deletion
     radio delete
     air conditioning delete
     major sound insulation delete
     floor pan reinforecement (ala convertible)
     windshield cowl reinforcment (ala convertible)
     engine cooling fan clutch (recalibrated)
     external air-to-oil cooler
     strut tower brace
     delete power windows/locks
     external power steering cooler
     fog lamp and mounting bracket delete
     tubular bumper reinforcment
     high rate springs
     KONI double adjustable struts and shocks
     17" x 8" wheels (ala '94 GT but with black
centers)
     full size spare
     13" front brakes and 10.5" rear brakes
     low-back front bucket seats with reinforced
"police" seat backs
     larger 5.0L water pump pulley
     unique serpentine belt
     unique cooling system with purge tank and
aluminum radiator
     delete front fender liners
     no QC warranty
     modified tie rod ends
     modified rack and pinion
<end quote>

The rear seat delete kits are no longer available
AFAIK (some trim pieces are specific to the R).  Most
of the Fox-3 owners I know who have upgraded their
brakes went with the '87-93 spindles and 11" rotors,
SVO/Lincoln 73mm calipers, and a SVO master cylinder.
(and I don't know what they did about balancing the
brakes F/R) I presume the '93 Cobra rear discs would
work though I don't know anyone who has used them.

I'm guessing a ESP 5.0 coupe with Cobra motor, the
full Cobra R treatment except for the brakes, and as
much lightening as is legal _might_ just touch the
2850 lb. mark.  Whether that's good enough to catch
the Camarobirds is an open question (although in truth
it probably would be with the likes of John Ames or
Mark Madarash at the wheel).  Has anyone done the ESP
treatment on a Cobra-engined Mustang?

Craig Blome