Re: Rock-bottom-in-cost?

To: Kevin_Stevens@bigfoot.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rock-bottom-in-cost?
From: RacerRay52@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 06:49:34 EDT
I said:
<< > I've had the same car for 7 years. It hasn't changed. Some of the regular
 > street tire folks the same. The PAX factors have changed yearly,
 > moving the numbers closer to each other. For me it has been rather like
 > having 75 lbs. added to my car each year.

 To which Kevin Stevens reacted:
 Oh, PLEASE!!  Running Street Tire in an H-Stock car is THE BEST possible
 scenario for running under the PAX index.  Street tires, like rain and other
 poor surface situations, levels the playing field by handicapping the cars
 with better suspension and/or power, that now can't make use of those
 advantages.  Running Street Tire last year in an ESP Camaro, I had to give
 THREE SECONDS to an HS car on a 60 second course (for me).  This year, in
 SS, I have to give up MORE than three seconds.  The PAX index would reflect
 reality much better for street tired cars if it were compressed by about
 15-20%. >>
It is too easy to take a part of what I said out of context and pretend that
is all I said on a subject in order to score some easy but irrelevant
debating points. It is the yearly changing that makes the PAX unsatisfactory
not just the fact that the changes have been going against HS. Which BTW it
has been.

In 1998 if an HS car ran a 50 sec raw time and a Corvette ran a 50 sec  raw
time the PAXed times for them would be: Corvette 41.95 and HS car 39.4. in
1999 the same two cars running 50 sec raw times would yield PAX times of 41.5
for the 'Vette and 39.25 for the HS car. The difference between the two in 98
would have been 2.55 sec. In '99 it would be 2.25 sec. You can go right
through the PAX factors for the last few years and see that the difference
between most classes and HS has been shrinking. There are a couple of
exceptions in the ST list but the factors for the stock classes are getting
closer together without exception. A couple of examples: the '99 index has HS
at .785 and  GS at.788 a difference of .003.In 1998 the difference was .006.
And so on down the list.

If someone expresses a preference for something different in some part of the
rules and it isn't liked by someone else it seems there could be a fresher
and more enlightening way to express the disagreement than to fall back on
the meaningless device of saying "you want an I class". A little originality
would make this excercise more entertaining. I'm surprised the word "whine"
was not brought into the discussion. Once someone uses a word or phrase like
that it seems it just gets copied over and over. "Whine" and "I class" -- two
 team.net favorites. Oldies but goodies.

No, no one has to jump to it and change anything just to suit me. If I see
what I want I'll buy. If not I won't. I'm not going to buy sticky tires
anytime soon. I'm not going to run in a PAXed class. If I feel like running
at all I'll run in the regular HS class and take my lumps.

I don't mind arguing. I like spirited debate. But it requires something more
in the way of facts and reasons for it to lead anywhere. Try again.

Ray