Re: Solo Vee - SEB

To: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>,
Subject: Re: Solo Vee - SEB
From: "Larry R. Metz" <75304.1645@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 14:05:52 -0500
I want to respond to the comments about the Solo Vee classing.  I likewise
want to assure everyone there is no flaming intended.

I am a vee owner, started soloing when they were real vees.

I agree that we went down the wrong road.  Each step of modifications
seemed to be a bit late to stay competitive, but seemed like the best
individual choice at each step.

I also have a 1200 vee, and have been the lowly voice in the field asking
that we return to the racing legal specs.  As the legend cars, I believe
that a racing legal vee would fit nicely in a prepared class, but has not
been the popular thing to consider.  I also believe that a purely legal vee
class would become just as popular as the CM class did when it started.

I am part of the efforts to organize the solo vee owners, as I believe it
is the best option available now, as I object to further pursuit of
modifications.  I see our role as SVOA is to be a "friendly" group, within
SCCA, who are wanting to stabolize the present rules, and enhance
participation until which it becomes a "popular and accepted" decision to
create a single class.

I believe that this effort fits very well into the Solo Boards overriding
values of:    Increased  participation and involvement.....variety of
classes to satisfy a range of economies and commitment......evolving rules
in a planned manner.

A Solo vee class with stable rules would address permitting smaller budgets
to experience the thrill of running a mod car for a number of years.  With
our promoting the cars that should increase participation, and it would
abide by the value of evolving in a planned manner.  It would be the only
one type car class.

I participated in the efforts years back when the CM effort was created.
It began in Central Division, as we created a FF class and a FV class to
run in our division to demonstrate the interest.

The results of that year resulted in creating the CM class.  Event results
clearly show that there was less participation of FF cars than there were
FV and DM vees combined, during the divisional series,  the divisional
championship, and the national championship event but the decision was no
to vees?  Numbers clearly showed there were more vee based cars actually
running, but the fords were preferred by the decision makers.  Luckily, the
fords did rapidly increase as a result of the decision.  Reversing the mods
on the solo vee then would have been a lot less painful than now, as it was
not so far developed.

The vee and solo vee issue has been a struggle since the early eighties.
Consensus among competitors is not a realistic goal.  The Solo Board may at
sometime in the future change its thinking.

For me, I will continue to enjoy my vee and solo vee in solo events.  I
value the friendships and general benefits of SCCA, and will remain working
within the system.  At local events and even divisionals, we can request
special classes, like we do with Shelby club, Fiero Club, Corvette Club,
Shriners, etc., to encourage more participants.  Patience may be in our
favor in the long run.

Something that I suppose is human nature is the issue of limiting classes
or new classes.  There are national classes that continue to be have low
participation for years, but starting a new class seems to need major
numbers.  Remember in Covey training, the theory of exclusivity?....maybe
not the right words.  I do not believe there is a limited number of classes
in the world.  If the solo  rules had 25 more classes with resulting 700
more people at nationals, who would benefit, and who would not.  Why is it
so important to "create limits" in this situation?  Who's pride, or who's
ego is on the line here.  If no one shows up for a class, then the class
does not continue, but why can we not permit some efforts at change?  The
winner of SCM a few years back was truly a national champion?

I guess that is long enough......Whether the vee is classed correctly or
not, whether I have any hope of a so called national title or not, I figure
I am a winner each additional year that I have health and finances enough
to drive it!  I value the friendships and organization far beyond a little
trophy that will gain dust and mean little to anyone else, it is only in
the mind of you and your friends in SCCA.  Just remember how hard it is to
explain to a stranger what kind of racing we do, and then discussing the
issue of national champion status, it is only in your mind, of little
significance to this stranger.

Larry in red vee  #6 or #66