Re: WARNING humer alert! tree hugging hippy crap

Subject: Re: WARNING humer alert! tree hugging hippy crap
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 13:49:31 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999 A4autox@aol.com wrote:
>   Clue back to the clueless, you have that choice, if you feel you are risking
> a fine by driving your car on the street, then set it up the way you feel you
> need to have it to avoid a fine.
>   The fact is, there is no law that says you can't take your cat of of your
> own car, in fact you have a right to run a "test pipe" if you want to, the car
> just has to pass smog in some areas to get tabs, but don't tell me I have to
> set my car up to pass smog in your county or state just because you have to.
> You always have the choice of pouting and taking youre ball and going home
> because "it's not fair"
>   Sorry if I sound Irritated, but there is a differance between smart ass and
> clueless

Then what are you?  There sure as hell is a law in PA that says you must
have a catalytic converter on any car that came equipped with one from the
factory.  I don't care if God himself removed it.

That's all regardless of the point.  The point is that the SCCA has to
have a rule.  Currently that rule says cats aren't required on SP cars.
That rule screws people in PA who want to legally drive their SP cars on
the street.  Given that the SP == "Street Prepared", that doesn't seem to
be an unreasonable thought.  Some people, not necessarily me, are
proposing that SP cars be required to have some type of cat.  This would
help people like the above PA person, and potentially also send a message
to the world about how the SCCA is concerned with the environment, but it
would also force you to buy a high flow cat.

Try and discuss it without getting all emotional about it.

I think the original thing that started all this off was the thing in
Fastrax about how turbo SP cars would be required to have cat back systems
only, rather than being free.  On the face of it, that surely does strike
me as just a "Screw off, turbos!" statement, particularly the way it was
worded.  I don't see why they can't just use the same rule and if that
means a particular car can get more performance than they expected then
re-class it.

Mark