Re: Extended Repair Insurance

To: "Larry Boardman" <webdoc@javanet.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Extended Repair Insurance
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 11:30:54 -0600
>I  know this is a little off our main subject but has anyone had any
>good/ bad experience with buying extended repair insurance.  I just
>bought a used 98 Camero and received a offer from my insurance company
>that will extend repairs for an additional 20,000 miles after the
>warrantee is over.  There is a $50 deductible and the policy does not
>cover consumable (clutch, brake pads and such).  Cost seems steep -
over
>$800.00.
>Larry Boardman
==========================
Count your blessings Larry.

When I bought my new 1992 Hyundai Elantra I also bought a 6 year 100,000
mile bumper-to-bumper warranty at a cost of $720 from the dealership.

Six year later when I bought my 1998 Neon I also bought a six year
100,000 mile bumper-to-bumer warranty from the dealership but this time
at a cost of just over $2000!!!!

With the Hyundai the warranty paid for itself 4 times over.  Yup, $3000
worth of warranty repairs.

And the Dodge Neon?  Well, we'll just have to wait and see.  But I
figured that since I'll be autocrossing it regularly and also just
generally driving it more, ahem, "spiritedly" than the Hyundai that in
the long run the warranty should pay for itself.

Warranties are just like auto insurance.  Your money says that you're
gonna suffer a loss and the warranty/insurance company is betting that
you won't.

It's always a gamble.

Good luck.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

You jump in front of my car  When you know all the time
That 90 miles an hour  Girl  Is the speed I drive
You tell me it's all right  You don't mind a little pain
You say you just want me to take you for a drive
"Crosstown Traffic"  as recorded by Jimi Hendrix