Re: Extended Repair Insurance -BE CAREFUL

To: Larry Boardman <webdoc@javanet.com>
Subject: Re: Extended Repair Insurance -BE CAREFUL
From: Scott & Glenda Meyers <autox@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:44:52 -0700
Larry Boardman wrote:

> I  know this is a little off our main subject but has anyone had any
> good/ bad experience with buying extended repair insurance.  Cost
> seems steep - over $800.00.

Some plans run $1200 to $1500.....

> I've heard that the limited slips tend to wear out quickly.  this is
> covered but I have no idea of what the normal cost to repair is.
> Comments?

I have had some experience with "aftermarket" plans, and learned very quickly
what to be aware of.

There is a HUGE difference between "factory" and "aftermarket" plans. Buy the
FACTORY one if at all possible or available.

Why? Every aftermarket plan I have seen does NOT pay for diagnostic work
unless it eventually proves related to a covered component. This may not be
known until after many hours of finding what is wrong at $50-$65 per hour. You
must sign a form stating that YOU are responsible for any unrelated diagnostic
work done.  Every factory plan I have had does cover diagnostic work.

Also be very sure of exactly what is covered. The aftermarket plans are very
specific as to what is and what is not covered, and they enforce this TO THE
LETTER! They make no mistakes in their precise wording.

Are you sure the limited slip is covered? That seems like a 'wear item' to me,
just like brakes and a clutch. Better re-read it.

If you hadn't guessed. I will never again buy any aftermarket repair plan.

Scott Meyers
Burned once shame on them,
burned twice shame on me!