tires...AGAIN?!

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: tires...AGAIN?!
From: RacerRay52@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 12:24:23 EST
In a message dated 3/17/99 7:50:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
marka@telerama.com (Mark Andy) writes:

<<
 Why do folks persist with the totally misguided thinking that street tires
 will save money?  Sticky street tires typically cost more than Kumho's,
 come in more restricted sizes, and get eaten up just as fast or faster
 than R tires.  The only downside to R tires is that you need an extra set
 of rims for them, but rims are typically fairly cheap and if I'm gonna be
 needing special tires (Sticky non-R tires) I'll want the rims anyway.

 If you really want to save money on tire costs (not that that isn't a pipe
 dream anyway), push to get Kumho's as the spec tire for Solo programs in
 exchange for a discount.  It'll never happen, but at least if it did it
 might actually have the effect of dropping costs, unlike the street tires
 everyone blathers on about.

 And we'll just totally ignore the whole discussion of enforcement. If you
 can't see the obvious rule difficulties there's no hope of you seeing the
 light.  Why the heck do you think we've got R tires now anyway?

 Bottom line, racing anything costs money.  Some classes cost less than
 others.  Solo2, on average, costs so much less than any other form of
 racing that it still amazes me when people whine about money.  I could
 throw hundred dollar bills out the window during my runs and _still_ spend
 less than I did club racing motorcycles (which is known as a cheap
 motorsport!).

 If the idea or replacing a stock car with a new one every couple years
 to stay current doesn't appeal to you, then get a 'spec' stock car like
 the neon or miata.  Or move to mod classes where the car to have is much
 more stable.  Or join the CP mustang crowd.  Or just suck it up and quit
 whining 'cause you aren't gonna win anyway.

 Mark
 (grumpy as hell this morning)>>

     Those with a memory for names and trivial details will recall that I have
had my say on the matter of tires months ago. I have little to add
to what I said back then. Since having nothing new to say
doesn't seem to stop many others on this list I shall join this
wandering thread now with a few thoughts.

     To disagree is not necessarily to whine. But if someone
wishes to include my sayings in that category I will not
be unduly worried by that. Weak arguments require the
prop of  the pointless ad hominem.

     Because one likes R-compound tires on stock
category cars does not mean that it is impossible to
write and enforce a rule against them. If it can be done
on Street Touring cars it can be done on stock cars.
It would also be no very difficult matter to enforce an
exclusion list against any street tires that the  sanctioning body
deems inimical to the desire to keep costs down.

     "Why the heck do you think we've got R compound
tires now anyway?" asks our grumpy friend. There could be
several answers to that. Could one answer be something to do
with corporate involvment in the sport and  money?

Ray Elliott
Norfolk, Va.