Re: points system of car classing

To: Tom Gentry <tgentry@execpc.com>
Subject: Re: points system of car classing
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 21:01:39 -0600
Tom Gentry wrote:

> I like this system, maybe because I "grew up" with it.  I'm looking forward
>to some reasoned responses as to what's wrong with it, and what's right with
>the SCCA system.

Hi Tom.  As a MSCC alumni, I started out Autocrossing with the very same
system.  There is nothing "wrong" or "right" about either...they are
just different.  I enjoyed the system at Madison, especially with my old
914.  (Known as Gustav now) The 3 point assessment on "R" compound
tires, which puts you in prepared (the SCCA equivelent of Street
Prepared) make it very accessable to everyone.  A true street tire stock
class that has been that way for many years.

In a way, these systems are not too different.  You are allowed a
certain limited number of things you can do before being bumped.  It is
your choice what to do or not do to your car.  A serious competitor will
always maximize their car to the limits of whatever rules are in place.
One thing I liked is that you could address a particular weakness in
your car.  Of course, this is also cited by some as the systems fault
too.  One thing I didn't like is the incompatibility.  I showed up last
year at Lot 60 just for old times sake, and was put into "prepared" of
course.  No big deal to me, but the two systems are not exactly
compatable if some one wanted to run in stock class in both series.

--
Patrick Washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Wausau, WI     Land of Cheese