Re: Protest bond

To: Brian Naumann <brn6604@mail.geocities.com>
Subject: Re: Protest bond
From: Pat Kelly <lollipop@ricochet.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:54:17 -0800
Having had the honor of being the first protestee for an engine teardown
at nationals, the fee was only $100 at that time, which we pocketed...we
were happy to discover that if we had run that engine much longer, it
would have exploded. There was nothing illegal...in fact some groused it
was almost stock. This was in a Prepared class eons ago. Naturally,
being naive, we realized we should have demanded more for the teardown;
at that point there was no discussion of re-assembly costs.
    To check the protested items, the head only needed to be pulled, the
subject was valve size, piston size, and piston travel distances
(checking for an illegal crank or something like that). All could be
checked by pulling the head, a relatively simple operation on our car.
--Pat Kelly