Hooked on Phonics (was Intro and Questions)

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hooked on Phonics (was Intro and Questions)
From: "Mari L. Clements" <mlc4@psu.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 17:01:09 -0500
>AutoX content (ok I'm admittedly stretching):
>So, has anyone else had an interesting or particularly memorable
>mispronunciation of their name in an awards banquet or while being
>announced during an event?  Or is it just me?

I am Mari (Mary with an i) Clements (Klem ints--just like the pitcher, only
with an s).
I have been called

Maury
Marie
Maria
Marcia
Marcy
Mark
Eric's wife
Kla ments

My favorite ever announcing, though, was this (last Friday after a good run
on the practice course):
"car 75, C Stock, possibly Ladies" ( :

mlc

P.S. Real autocross content--In Meridian, ESP, ES, and HS all ran third
heat.  The rain was off and on all day Saturday, but third heat had at least
one run (possibly two, depending on when in the heat they ran) in the
relative dry.  Some of us didn't capitalize (my best run was the first
one--in the wet).  FS and SS (and GS?) had the worst of it, with monsoons in
the fourth heat (first time I've ever seen lights and windshield wipers on
course).  AS (and lots of prepared and mod classes) ran in the second heat.
BS, CS, & DS were all first heat.

P.P.S. Tangentially autocross content--The MR2 is off the road for sway bar
modifications this week.  So I'm left with limited commuting options.  The
"best" one is our Ford F250.  Even with the seat all the way forward, I have
to turn my body sideways to fully engage the clutch in that beast.  I've
seen people autocrossing with pillows behind their backs--are there better
solutions that people have tried?  The truck is our secondary tow vehicle
(and might be the one we take to Kansas).  I've thought about getting one of
those booster-type seats for kids--basically a full seat with back and
everything (not a toddler or preschooler car seat).  Would it work?  Could I
leave the seat at a position that wouldn't be awful for Eric if I used
something like that?