FSAE

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: FSAE
From: eah6@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 08:54:47 -0500
George Emery wrote:

> Shawn replied:
>> But FSAE cars do have wings!  (At least, the good ones do).

> I stand corrected then (none of the FSAE cars I've seen had'em) and would
> agree that they'd be underpowered in that case.

Actually, if you look at the top teams from the past few years, wings were the
exception, not the norm. Fairly large wings are required to generate any useful
downforce at these speeds and the wings usually end up mounted above the driver.
Not good for the CG. Our analysis showed that tunnels would probably be the most
effective for creating downforce, but due to lack of time, money, and expertise,
we did not pursue it any further.

With the exception of FSAE cars, I have never seen any A-Mod cars run (in
Ontario), so I have no idea how competitive they are. Has anybody seen the UTA
or Cornell cars run at an event? They have consistently finished in the top
three at the FSAE competition over the past few years.

Ed.
'96 University of Waterloo FSAE