Re: FSAE

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>, "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: FSAE
From: Scott Mitchell <scott@fortner.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 99 10:41:41 -0500
Phil Ethier wrote:
>I am told by someone on a Formula SAE team that the Formula SAE courses are
>tighter and "slower" than Solo II courses.  Since the primary reason to
>build a Formula SAE car is to run on a Formula SAE course, it makes little
>sense to design the car to use wings.

I dunno. The courses seem pretty much the speed of regional Solo II
courses to me. The major differences being the vast tracts of parking lot
that can be used at the Silverdome site. The endurance course adds
'passing zones' and is an actual loop.

FSAE cars are at that point on the power/speed curve where wings are very
debatable. Add to that the points that are gained/lost on a _slow_
skidpad and 100yd acceleration run for which a wing is a hinderance.

>Personally, I'd like to see a Solo II class for Formula SAE cars.  It would
>work fine if we could slap around the lawyers so the schools would sell the
>cars off when they had outlived their two-year Formula SAE limit.  That
>would seem to make more sense to me than having them as moot autocrosser
>prototypes but never actually selling them for that purpose.  I'd sure
>rather have one of these than a kart.

I agree, but lotsa luck. I don't see that changing any time soon. And
remember if a part on your Kart breaks you can find a replacement. On
your FSAE car you might have to custom build a replacement.

Scott

"And it's that grin as the driver rolls off the course into the embrace
of a grid full of those who understand and appreciate what has just been
completed, no matter what time appears on the clock, that none who have
not visited this fellowship can know." - Rocky Entriken