Re: That 1,000 number again...

To: Cliff Loh <vcmc001@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: That 1,000 number again...
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 12:51:48 -0600
Cliff Loh wrote:

> I dunno, seems pretty clear to me that only cars sold in the U.S. are
> eligible.  If the car is Canadian spec, don't even try to enter it in
> a Tour, Div, Pro or Nationals.

While this is clearly true, I think the question got a little more
complicated.  (at least that's the way I read it)  My understanding was
that the car in question is a U.S. spec model, thus could be entered.
It is not specifically classed however, so elegibility now is controlled
by the 1000 production quota rule. The question was, does production
figures count towards the 1000 car total if some of them were Canada
spec. models, but essentially the same car?  U.S. production alone falls
a little short, but U.S. and Canadian together makes it.

I personally think that the Canada models would not count toward the
1000 minimum according to my interpretation of the rule as written.  My
point was that this rule could be picked apart by armchair lawyers, and
that maybe it is best just to request that the SEB class the car.

Your point about the Canada cars was not lost on me either.  I feel that
all North American cars shold be allowed to compete, even your "Northern
Block" nations.  I've always considered parts of Canada to be North
Minnesota anyway.  :)  There are more differences in California models
than Canadian models in a lot of cases.  Since your our freindly
nieghbor and all, and haven't tried to start any wars with us or
anything, I just don't what the deal is either.  Start your own
Nationals, (maybe you already do?) and we can have a big International
shoot out on the border!
--
Patrick Washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Wausau, WI     Land of Cheese