Re: Brake fluid and Mityvac

To: Jim Wilson <jdwilson@ma.ultranet.com>
Subject: Re: Brake fluid and Mityvac
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 16:22:23 -0800

Jim Wilson wrote:

> If you are looking for a better brake bleeder than the Mityvac you should
> look at the brake bleeder that Griots Garage carries. I know there are
> cheaper places than Griots but they have the best catalog for the pictures.
> I have used the Mityvac for bleeding my motorcycle but found it didnt have
> enough capacity for doing car brakes. The Mityvac  is good however if you
> want something that does not need a compressed air supply. The compressed
> air powered vacuum brake bleeder that Griots carries works great when you
> are one man bleeding brakes in the driveway - it wouldn't however be the
> best for working at the track with no air.

That's why I've become a strong proponent, Jim, of the Gunson
EeziBleed. I used a borrowed pressure-bleeder when I first built the
car.  Worked great, but I couldn't justify the cost of buying one for
myself. So I bought a MityVac.  I was very disappointed with it.  Then
some of my fellow Brit car owners on this list convinced my to try the
EeziBleed.  Now that I have one, I'll never go back to anything else.

The EeziBleed is available from most Brit car supply houses.  I'll
admit that it's highly overpriced (about $50) for what you get (a
plastic reservoir bottle, some fittings, gaskets, master cylinder
caps, and tubing.)  But what it does is nothing short of amazing.

The EeziBleed uses air pressure (20 lbs or less) from a spare tire to
pressure-bleed your entire brake system.  With a little ingenuity and
a master cylinder cap from the neighborhood junkyard, you can probably
adapt it to work on MOST (but certainly not ALL) cars and trucks.
Anybody with a lot of ingenuity and a little bit of mechanical ability
could easily build their own for a lot less than 50 bucks.

It's really a shame that some enterprising US company hasn't picked up
the EeziBleed to sell under their own name in much the same way that
Aldon (a top British performance parts supplier) has done with the
US-made Pertronix Ignitor!!!  And, for those who are saying, "Huh?
What's that?," the Pertronix Ignitor is a tiny little black box
electronic component that replaces the points (anybody know what
points are???) in older style distributors.  It's kinda like the tiny
little box you can buy to replace the points in your lawn mower.

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman