Re: Herstory

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Herstory
From: Bret Dodson <bret@serv.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 10:29:12 -0800 (PST)
Perhaps I don't understand.  What's wrong with having the Ladies classes?

Is there a drought of competition for these male also rans?  They see that
they would have won the Ladies class and gotten a trophy over some guy's
girlfriend who just learned to drive a manual transmission and some other
guy's grandmother and get upset that there is no class for talent-less,
narrow minded troglodytes like them?  Is this the case?

Perhaps I just don't get it?  Will someone please fill me in?

Maybe I don't get it because I'm fast and have been fortunate enough to
win a whole bunch of trophies in the short time I've been involved with
this sport.

Perhaps I'm just special?

I will admit that the Ladies classes are often slower than the Open
classes.  Why does their presence cause such a problem?  It is much easier
to dual drive a car when both drivers are in different run groups.  This
is especially true of non-stock categories.  With the Ladies classes, a
single car can have up to 4 drivers.  I've seen it done.  How can this
possibly be bad?

The Ladies classes have proven to be a good tool for growing our sport.  I
just don't understand the problem some of my colleagues (ugh) have with
them.  I don't buy the argument that they are not needed.  Somehow a whole
bunch of chivalry sprouts up when this topic is broached.  "We all should
race together, chromosomes have no brearing on driving ability".  Let me
ask the assembled cohort of male racers a question.  Would you race with
some of the men in this sport if you were a woman?  I certainly wouldn't.
Most of them a great guys.  The sort of gentleman I'd like to see my
sister or daughter involved with.  It's the vocal, disgusting minority
that would make me run screaming to some other sport.  I swear some of
these men aren't human.  A woman appears and they turn into some sort of
hyena, drooling from every orifice, making lewd comments and behaving in a
generally unsettling manner.

Take a look at a well subscribed Ladies class sometime.  More often than
not it looks like the participants are having a wonderful time.  Isn't
that why we do this silly little activity?

The attitudes and sentiments displayed in this thread have shown me why so
many male autocrossers are single.  Pathetic.

Bret Dodson
'96 Miata R
Seattle, WA