Re: Herstory

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Herstory
From: PaxsACR@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 12:07:13 EST
In a message dated 2/12/99 10:44:19 AM Central Standard Time, camel@serv.net
writes:

<< Guys, guys, guys.  Way to make women feel welcome in the sport, with all
 these lovely recent posts!  :)

 I find it very amusing that you men are telling us women what we
 need/should want/should do in regards to becoming interested in racing.

 Listen. You don't know what it feels like to be a woman in racing.  You
 never will. There's no way.  You're a guy, not a gal. So frankly, seeing
 you guys tell us gals what is needed to attract more gals is quite
 laughable.>>

--------I don't have to be a woman to understand a situation in which a
desired result is wanted and the means of achieving that result is being
debated. I can draw correlations between my own experiences and those that you
face as a woman in racing and work from that.------

 <<You know what brought out the most new women drivers to Seattle last year?
 A 'Women Only' practice.  That's right, NO MEN DRIVING.  We had over 30
 women show up.  Most of those women had never set foot in a car to do
 anything more than go from one place to another.  Most weren't fast.  But
 damn, they had a blast, and a large number of them came back!  And you
 know what most of them told me?  They wouldn't have shown up if there had
 been men driving. They wouldn't have shown up if there had been times
 announced, or times posted.  They wouldn't have shown up if there had been
 heated competition at this, their first try at autocross.  They liked the
 calm, informal, low-key approach to learning about autocross.  They liked
 the only-ladies format.>>

------GREAT!!! an excellent idea, but when we're talking about actual
competition, why should there be a seperation of gender after the initial fear
of something new has been diminished.---------

 <<So. Until you guys get a sex change operation, I think you'd better listen
 to what the *women* think is the best way to attract *women*. :)

 And you know what?  I don't need Nomex.  I've got enough moisturizer, skin
 toner, sunblock, and makeup on to keep off any flames.  :)

 Susan
 '96 Miata R>>

-------Sorry but the men in this sport have opinons that are just as valid and
just as you don't need "balls" to drive well, we don't need "tits" to know
what we think would be good for the sport or further the cause of women in
motorsports. My mother was an accomplished autoXer, and I know enough women in
this sport to know what obstacles they face.------------

<< ps - "throw off the crutch"? "had the courage to switch to open"?  Lordy!
 I drove in Ladies class last year so that I could learn the sport and not
 have to deal with macho attitudes while I was tentative and exploring, and
 because the Miata I was driving was being triple-driven. This year I have
 my own car. This year I'm driving Open - not because I needed a crutch
 last year, and not because I DIDN'T HAVE ANY COURAGE.  Ptui.  I'm driving
 Open because the number of competitors in the Ladies Class has fallen and
 I want a large number of people to compete against.  If there were 10-15
 women in BSL, I might consider staying there!

 Thanks for insulting all women who run Ladies, fellas.  Courage.  Tcha, I
 say, tcha!  (Courage could be, having the courage to run Ladies even
 though a lot of guys think it's bad!)>>

-----------Yes, the Ladies classes are a crutch, and I'd like to see your
argument that they're not. What Shauna did took a whole bunch of courage and I
think you insult women by suggesting that it didn't, and I don't see how
sticking with a class in which you don't compete against the entire pool of
drivers could be considered courageous.----------

Pax