Re: Speed-bleeders stock legal?

To: "Cliff Loh" <vcmc001@ibm.net>, "Autox List" <Autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Speed-bleeders stock legal?
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 22:16:13 -0600
From: Cliff Loh <vcmc001@ibm.net>

>Yes, either a ruling or a clarification.  However, if they rule speed
>bleeders illegal, then they would also need to disallow the use of
>vacuum assisted brake bleeding tools such as the kind made by Mity-Vac

Nope.  The speed bleeders are parts on the car during a run.  The Mity-Vac
is not.

>For a rule to be applied fairly, it must apply to a) all cars in the
>category,

There are many rules that do not apply to all cars in a category.  The cars
are all different, so rules that cannot be applied to specific cars are
inevitable.

> and/or b) all methods of achieving/performing the function
>under consideration.

Nope.  Take SP.  There are lots of ways to adjust camber on a Europa.  Only
one of them (and not the most elegant or easy, either) is legal in SP:
offset bushings.

SCCA Solo 2 rules are traditionally NOT set up on effects, but on allowable
modifications.

>Here's something to think about.  A potentially parallel concept
>(getting very nit-picky too).  Is a speed bleeder to brakes similar to
>a tire valve to tires?  Both allow the competitor to adjust vehicle
>performance between runs/heats.  There's no rule saying tire pressures
>may/may not be adjusted between runs and IMHO, there shouldn't be
>one.  Same goes for bleeding brakes, regardless of method used.

Still missing the point.  The rules are not about you bleeding or not
bleeding your brakes.  They are about modifications to your car.

I still believe that a protest of a car for having speed-bleeders would be a
world-class wienie protest.  This ought to be a non-issue.  It does,
however, appear that they are illegal in Stock and Street Prepared.  They
are legal in Prepared, where any brake parts are allowed.

Lotus Europa, VW Quantum Syncro, Chev Suburban
LOON, TCVWC, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/